JSCC International Award for Creative Work 2023
Japan Society of Coordination Chemistry (JSCC) invites candidates for the 9th JSCC International Award for Creative Work in 2023. This award will be awarded to researchers with foreign citizenship who are recognized as having contributed to the development of coordination chemistry through outstanding achievements or pioneering research. Candidates should be early career researchers (no more than 15 years post-Ph.D. at the nomination deadline). Selection for this award will be made in accordance with the rules and the additional rules for JSCC International Award for Creative Work. The winner will be awarded at the 73rd Conference of JSCC (21st – 23rd September, 2023, Mito City Civic Center, Ibaraki, Japan). The rules and the additional rules can be found on the website of JSCC. Candidates will be considered equally, regardless of self-recommendation or recommendation by others. The first round of screening for this award will be conducted from January to February 2023, followed by the second round of screening. The deadline for submission of materials for the first round of screening is 5th January (Thu.), 2023, and the deadline for submission of materials for the second round of screening is 31st January (Tue.), 2023 (both must arrive at JSCC office). Please note that these are considerably earlier than the deadline for the other award applications. We are looking forward to receiving many applications.
Application guideline for JSCC International Award for Creative Work 2023
Applicants for this award must be a coordination chemist with foreign citizenship within 15 years after obtaining Ph.D. degree who are recognized as having contributed to the development of coordination chemistry through particularly outstanding or pioneering research. In the case of self-recommendation, applicants do not necessarily have to be the members of JSCC. In the case of recommendation by others, the person who recommends the candidate must have been a member of JSCC for more than 1 year as of 1st April, 2023.
2. Documents to be submitted
• The first round of screening (submit as pdf files by e-mail)
(1) Brief description of the achievements and contribution to qualify the candidate for the award in 5 – 20 lines.
(2) List of main papers (free format, approximately 1 page of an A4 size paper)
• The second round of screening (12 copies to be submitted by mail)
(1) Explanation of achievements (free format): Please keep it to about 2 pages of A4 size paper, including figures and tables, etc.
(2) List of achievements (free format): Please prepare a list of up to 10 major papers, reports, reviews, commentaries, and books.
(3) Recommendation Letter (for a candidate recommended by others): The format can be downloaded from the JSCC website (pdf / word). If it is difficult to download the form, request it to the JSCC office. A form other than the one prescribed by the Society is acceptable, as long as the format is nearly the same.
• The recommendation letter should be the first page, followed by the statement of achievements, the list of achievements. The number of pages should be written in the upper right corner of the application documents.
• Submit 12 copies of the complete application documents to the JSCC office by the deadline.
3. Notes on preparing submission documents
(1) Please use a word processor as much as possible. If using a word processor, please print about 40 characters x 40 lines and use 10-12 point type.
(2) List of achievements: As for peer-reviewed papers, you may list in press papers while not those that have been submitted but not accepted yet in the list of achievements.
4. Review period
The screening will be conducted from the closing date to around the end of March. In addition to the document review, interviews with candidates may be held between middle February and the end of March. The selection committee will inform you of the hearing schedule. Note that JSCC will not bear the travel expenses for hearings required by the nominators or the travel expenses of the award winners.
5. Requirements for the awardee
The awardee will be required to submit the award lecture abstract to be published in the abstract book of the 73rd Conference of JSCC, and to give the award lecture at the conference. In addition, the awardee will be required to contribute an “Award Account” on the awarded research to the Bulletin of the Japan Society of Coordination Chemistry (BJSCC), which is scheduled to be published in FY 2024.
The “Award Account” published in BJSCC will appear on a website of J-Stage.
7. Deadline for submission, sending and contact addresses
Deadline for submission:
First round of screening: 5th January (Thu.), 2023 (must be arrived at JSCC office)
Second round of screening: 31st January (Tue.), 2023 (must be arrived at JSCC office)
Sending and contact addresses: Office of the Japan Society of Coordination Chemistry, Institute for Molecular Science, 5-1 Higashiyama, Myodaiji-cho, Okazaki, Aichi 444-8787, Japan
E-mail: sakutai(at)ims.ac.jp Please replace (at) to @ for sending an e-mail.
* Please write “Application documents for JSCC International Award for Creative Work” in red on the envelope.